Re: PLUG-discuss digest, Vol 1 #5075 - 10 msgs

Author: Craig White
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: PLUG-discuss digest, Vol 1 #5075 - 10 msgs
On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 08:32 -0700, Phil Mattison wrote:
> >From what you have written, I get the clear feeling that these are your
> positions:
> >
> >1. Linux kernel & shell are a-ok, no problems.
> >2. X based desktop environments (kde/gnome/etc) too slow, buggy, crappy.
> >3. Free alternatives to commercial products are not good.
> >4. Commercial motivation = good products.
>
> Close, but I would say:
>
> 1. Linux kernel & shell are a-ok, no problems.
> 2. X based desktop environments (kde/gnome/etc) [tend to be] too slow,
> buggy, crappy.

----
that of course is your opinion - others may vary
----

----
that of course is your opinion - others may vary
----
> 4. Commercial motivation does not necessarily result in good products, but
> of necessity tends to place more emphasis on identifying and meeting the
> needs of a specific market. Open source projects seem often to be done by
> hobbyists who then want the satisfaction of seeing other people benefit from
> their work. There is nothing wrong with that but it does not foster the same
> level of discipline you find in most commercial projects. The GPL can be
> both a blessing and a curse.

----
how could GPL be a curse? It is a license.

Open source projects are sometimes done by hobbyists but some would
speculate that the fruits of labors of free choice are often better than
that which is done as a job. Someone else can pick up the source,
improve upon it, use parts and pieces for their project and code can be
recycled as well as improved. It is clearly a win-win. Your conjecture
about discipline in open source projects vs. commercially
driven/proprietary software is no more than an opinion, one which many
will disagree but again, you are entitled to your opinion.

Ok - so your mission is to criticize. I suppose that somewhere in your
mind, there is the thinking that your criticism somehow is beneficial.

In my twisted logic - I keep referring to those who light candles and
those who curse the darkness. It's not hard to figure where I place you
in this schema.

Craig

ps I have no religious crusade and I don't wear a towel on my head. I
don't evangelize/proselytize for any OS. Software is a tool and I choose
what to use / where to use when appropriate. I have seen people use a
spreadsheet to do word processing and while I don't see that as the best
tool for the job that they are trying to do, it works for them. Of
course, you would rip them a new poop chute.