RE: Telescope Control Program (TCM)

Author: Bart Garst
To: plug-discuss
Subject: RE: Telescope Control Program (TCM)

Reference webpage:
<http://www.eso.org/projects/caos/telescope/telescope.html>

Has anyone on this list had any experience with this program or any other
Linux-based TCM? I'm purchasing a very fancy telescope that can be
controlled via EIA-232 i/f from a lap to the scope. The commericial
(Win-only I assume) is $140. E-Gads!

I have Mandrake 9.1 on one laptop (with a read DB-9 EIS-232) and SUSE 9.2
on a lap with only USB ports (of course

====

I remember reading an article in Linux Journal about a TCM app.

I found this on one of their forums while trying to locate that article:
<quote>
Most amateur astronomers use telescope from Meade and Celestron, the latest
version of KStars (to be released in KDE 3.2 http://edu.kde.org/kstars)
includes a support for such telescopes.

It seems that Talon is really great and professional, albeit it is limited
to the Optical Mechanics and Oregen motion controllers.

For most of us amateur astronomers out there who own a Meade or a Celestron,
KStars allow us to easily control the telescope.
</quote>

This was news to me.

The article I had read was about Talon. The forums also said in was no
longer being "supported" (whatever that means).

Bart