Re: Telescope Control Program (TCM)

Author: KevinO
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Telescope Control Program (TCM)
Gene Holmerud wrote:
> Reference webpage:
> <http://www.eso.org/projects/caos/telescope/telescope.html>
>
> Has anyone on this list had any experience with this program or any
> other Linux-based TCM? I'm purchasing a very fancy telescope that can
> be controlled via EIA-232 i/f from a lap to the scope. The commericial
> (Win-only I assume) is $140. E-Gads!
>
> I have Mandrake 9.1 on one laptop (with a read DB-9 EIS-232) and SUSE
> 9.2 on a lap with only USB ports (of course

Easy!

1) Upgrade your laptop to Mandrake 10.0 or 10.1.

2) urpmi.addmedia a set of package sources, including contrib and plf

3) Install all of your updates.

4) urpmi xephem

On a Mdk 10.0 system:

# [root@brenda root]# urpmq -i xephem
extracting xephem-3.5.2-2plf.i586
Name        : xephem
Version     : 3.5.2
Release     : 2plf
Group       : Sciences/Astronomy
Size        : 4097941                      Architecture: i586
Source RPM  : xephem-3.5.2-2plf.src.rpm      Build Host: taz.eijk.nu
URL         : http://www.clearskyinstitute.com/xephem/xephem.html
Summary     : An X Window System/Motif based interactive astronomy program.
Description :
Xephem is an interactive astronomy program for X Windows systems.
[root@brenda root]#

- --
Kevino

AMAZING BUT TRUE ...
    If all the salmon caught in Canada in one year were laid end to end
    across the Sahara Desert, the smell would be absolutely awful.