Re: ipcop and remote access and pptp

Author: Alan Dayley
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: ipcop and remote access and pptp
> In 1.3 of ipcop there was a remote administration checkbox but I just
> installed 1.4 and can not locate that checkbox, I need to mange the
> ipcop box over http/https over the red interface, I tried opening port
> 443 on the firewall seciton of ipcop but no go.
>

> What I really want is a pptp or vpn server on linux and I was trying to
> achieve that with ipcop, are there some other methods that will work
> easier, I can install Debian and go from there but I figured ipcop could
> also do this, any suggestions?

First off, your question is better asked in the ipcop-user email list,
since it is so specific to IPCop. Go here to subscribe:
do has been recently discussed in that list. Check the archives for
possible answers.

Second, I would not recommend opening a firewall for remote access on the
web based administration interface. It WILL get pounded on.

If you must get to it remotely, open the SSH external access. Once you
log in via ssh, you can use a text based browser on localhost to get to
the web admin interface. It is not as pretty that way but then you only
have one opening to the world that is pretty secure. Or at least more
secure than http or https.

Alan