Re: monitor 'out of scan range'

Author: Alan Dayley
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: monitor 'out of scan range'
Josef Lowder said:

> Thanks, Alan ...
>
> You wrote:
>> I would guess that the "out of scan range" message indicates that the
>> video card is producing sync rates that the LCD monitor cannot handle.
>> I assume that the two boxes used to have different monitors, right?
>
> Actually, both computers were using the same monitor.

Yes, well, I should have thought my assumption through a bit. The old
monitor had a mode that supports the Mandrake configuration but the new
monitor does not.

Since you have one box that works and one that does not, you can directly
compart the X configuration files to find hints about what is different
and the configuration entries that need to be changed. Compare
/etc/X11/XF86Config between the two computers, paying attention to the
"monitor" sections.

Alan