Re: which distro?

Author: Craig White
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: which distro?
On Sun, 2004-11-28 at 21:36 -0700, Joe and Colleen Huber wrote:

> The PC I have at the moment is almost 6. The short term (shortly after
> Christmas) is a (new) dual boot system Windows (for the wife) and some Linux
> distro. I've got a hosted website out there - static HTML with a sprinkling
> of JavaScript. Things are getting to the point where I would like to start
> getting into some server side stuff (get Apache and MySQL running) so that I
> have something to learn/test on for web development. Should I just pull the
> RedHat 7.1 off the shelf? I get the impression that RedHat has sort of moved
> away from the "personal computing" market.

----
- RedHat 7.x (and 8.x, 9 and even Fedora Core 1) have reached end of
life
- If you are looking at Apache/MySQL, you should probably be looking at
something close to current or better yet, something like RHEL (or more
specifically a clone like CentOS)
- I am not a fan of dual-boot. You can pick up a cheap mini-KVM switch
at Fry's for about $30 and have 2 computers use 1 keyboard, mouse and
monitor. The nuisance of having to restart discourages things.
- RedHat's 'personal computing' has Fedora as the leading edge of
software releases whereas server use is typically towards the
'stable' (RHEL).

Craig