Re: *nix and windows

Author: Ted Gould
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: *nix and windows
On Thu, 2004-11-25 at 11:29 -0700, Michael Ray Havens wrote:
> I just had a billiant idea.
>
> Windows is so ubiquous, right?

I think that this is one of the reasons that OpenOffice.org is so
important. It runs on Windows too. So, if you can get a group of
people running OpenOffice.org, it becomes much easier to move them to
Linux.

I know that some people see writing open source apps that run on a
closed operating system as supporting that operating system. But, my
philosophy on it is that it is about the applications. If people can
switch to a free operating system without loosing their applications
they'll do that. And this is not saying "Gnumeric is as good as Excel"
I think your more effective with "You know how you've been using
OpenOffice for 6 months, yeah, it's the same on Linux".

That's my advocacy piece for the day :)

        --Ted