Re: Tools for setting up Email server in Linux!

Author: Joseph Toon
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Tools for setting up Email server in Linux!
Here is my mail server program selection:

SMTP Server: Postfix 2.1.5
POP/IMAP Server: Courier-imap 3.0.8
Anti-Virus/Anti-Spam: Amavisd-new 2.2.0 w/SpamAssassin 3.0.1 & ClamAV 0.80
Webmail: SquirrelMail 1.4.3

I've setup pop/imap/smtp all to use SSL/TLS and have SMTP-AUTH for remote
users (able to configure laptops/remote users to send mail via port 2500
using SMTP-AUTH). Its nice as these protocols default to passing passwords in
plaintext.

I also use dnsrbl lists w/Postfix to reject mail from known spam hosts. The
above solution has been 100% effective in virus protection and has reduced
spam significantly (I am unsure of an exact percentage.. I'm guessing easily
85%+ effective even with very conservative settings).

There is a web-based front end for amavisd/spamassassin called Maia Mailguard
that will allow users to customize their mail settings. I am unsure if this
integrates with .procmail/.vacation and other mail features. Perhaps usermin
(webmin) might be useful? I haven't used these in a long time so I am unsure
of their current state.

Oh .. fyi, all of this is open source and freely available for download. :)