Re: Window's 'Remote Assistance'

Author: Michael
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Window's 'Remote Assistance'
> I've got rdesktop installed.
>
> I setup a mock invite on a winxp box and saved it to a shared folder. On
> a linux box, I have smbmount'ed the shared folder, and have access to the
> file. The file is an XML file, invite.msrcincident with the following
> values:
>
> USERNAME="yourmom"
> RCTICKET="65538,1,192.168.0.3:3389;soccerdork:3389,*,XJy5Qmn0Oeq/X16Ie3Fspt8+sqF3yxqAZ2c10YIss5A=,*,*,oU0eJGcvlaP0bZtkAWrarmrN0Nw="
> RCTICKETENCRYPTED="1"
> DtStart="1101187655"
> DtLength="43200"
> PassStub="eS@8Yll3nv5*5f"
> L="0"
>
> Not quite sure what to do from here, rdesktop mans make no mention of such
> files.
>
> This failed:
> gNotebook smb # rdesktop -u yourmom -g 1024x768 -p - 192.168.0.3:3389
> Password: *************
> (pretty flicker --)> croak)
> gNotebook smb #
> what wrong do I?

You can't do it with an invite through the MSN service. That requires more
on your end than esclusive RDP4-5 support. It requires a whole application
which is 'built together with' RDP.

Think about it. How would you click the "Take Control" button? Or chat?

Hopefully someday this will work as I would like it too. Rdesktop has been
a long time running development that moves slowely due to nill
documentation from MS regaurding the proto. Maybe somebody from GAIM will
reverse engineer remote assistance enough for that to work with rdesktop
like MSN does with RDP. But I bet you'll see WinXP widgets long before you
see remote assistance working.

-Michael