Audacity error

Author: Clayton Stapleton
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Audacity error
Installed Audacity on SuSE 9.2 and when I start it I get the
following error

Error Initialixzing Audio
There was an error initializing the audio i/o layer.
You will not be able to play or record audio.

Error: Host error

Googled this error and found the following:
"It turns out audacity doesn't like running with timidity"
But "timidity" is not installed on SuSE 9.2 and is not
available.

The other possiblity was as follows:
Try adding this line
"pcm.hw:0,1"
To the "use other custom options" under "Hardware" on
the sound system configuration page in KDE.

This seems to allow several programs to work with the sound
system at the same time.

Searched SuSE 9.2 for "pcm.hw" software and it is not available.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

TIA

Clayton Stapleton