CD Data Recovery

Author: adam@victorious.net
To: plug-discuss
Subject: CD Data Recovery
I'm trying to get data back off a CD that I did a backup to went badly and
I'm not having much luck so far. I was upgrading my system and needed to
back up my files, so I pulled my home directory and my development
directories over to my Windows machine and burned them to disc with the
windows version of cdrecord.

What I now have is a CD that has two main directories with sub directories.
All the files that I backed up from my home directory are intact and I have
no problems accessing them. However the files that are in my development
directory all show up and are all reporting the correct filesize, but are
all just empty files when I try to open them up in either Windows or on my
Linux box. I'm trying to find a way to dump the files, or contents of them
to my hard drive in order to get back part of my code.

As I'm not totally familiar with all the tools available to me for this
sort of thing under Linux, I am looking at using dd or maybe ddrescue to
attempt to get my data back. Is there anyone out there that can point me
in the right direction for what I am trying to do? CD is a 700M CDR, linux
system is debian (Knoppix installed)

Thanks,
Adam