Re: OT: Reccomended Qwest DSL modem

Author: Alan Dayley
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: OT: Reccomended Qwest DSL modem
Rob Wultsch said:

> I was meaning a my rather nice US Robotics 8054 which according to
> several test on that can be found online was the most powerful
> wireless router availible.
>
> However, if you get a dsl modem that is just a modem, meaning no NAT,
> then you should be able to plug a linux computer into it and not have to
> worry about much.

Be careful here. It is very true that the vast majority of
attacks/viruses/trojans/spyware/etc. target MS operating systems. But,
you must have a firewall between your computer and the internet. A
physically separate box is best but one on your workstation, at least, is
a must.

I had been running SSH on standard port 22 for some time so I could get at
my computer when I am not at home. About two weeks ago, I noted LOTS of
failed SSH login attempts over several days from a couple of different
IPs. Someone was trying to login to my SSH or use an exploit to get
through it. I shut the port off for about a week now. I'll probably
re-open SSH on a non-standard port after this weekend. I'll also refresh
my IP by reconnecting the DSL line. Maybe they will have gone away.

Linux protects from the vast, most common malware but don't think for a
minute you can just slap your computer on the internet without a worry or
care.

Alan