Re: OT: Educating users about Security

Author: Dennis Kibbe
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: OT: Educating users about Security
On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 19:19:02 -0700
Siri Amrit Kaur <> wrote:

> > Sounds like your Slackware box would do better used if it were turned into
> > a firewall for the entire office. Look at smoothwall[1] or IPCOP[2].
>
> Help me to understand this, please. If we turned the Linux box into a firewall
> with IPcop or Smoothwall, would it allow users to access the internet but
> keep the database and sensitive data on the LAN somehow separate? My only
> experience with Linux firewalls is using Guarddog to configure iptables on a
> standalone box with no servers running. This situation at work is a lot more
> complex than that...

Yep, both smoothwall and IPCOP will do that and will be easy to setup and maintain. I've used smoothwall for several years to protect a similar small business network. Check the smoothwall document link to get started.

I'm not sure your situtation is that complicated. You need a firewall for the internel network and you need to keep spyware and viruses off the LAN. The firewall will close off ports and monitor traffic. Mozilla/Firefox/T'bird will reduce your risk and Ad-aware and Spybot are really just needed because you can't depend on your co-workers not to do something stupid.

Dennisk