Re: Samba setup

Author: Donn Shumway
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Samba setup
I have spent many hours solving all types of Samba issues with WinXP
machines. The most likely things to do are:

1) create an entry (on the Samba server) for each username in
smbpasswd with the command:
    smbpasswd -a [username]  (..then enter the password as prompted)
Note that the usernames and passwords must match between PCs to give
secure access to Home directories (or any other secure directories for
that matter).
2) if you want your SMB box to be the master browser make sure there
are entries in the Globals section of your smb.conf file that reads:
    os level = 65
    master browser = Yes
This will ensure that the Samba server will win any master browser election.
3) The biggest thing is to make sure that the Guest account on the
Samba server is active and defined in the smb.conf file since all
browsing is initially performed as the Guest account:
    guest account = guest   (not sure of the syntax here without
checking my setup at home)

Hope this helps.
Donn

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 11:22:19 -0700, Michael Sammartano <> wrote:
> I am having samba login issues. I am able to connect to the box and use
> the printer, but when I try to login to view files I am denied. Does
> anyone know where I should start? I am trying to connect via winXP. I
> also turned off my firewall.It is (as far as I can see) either a
> password issue or login name issue.
> TIA,
> Mike
>
> --
> Created with the Thunderbird email client for Windows. This is an Open Source alternative to the troubled Microsoft product line.

Donn
"I hope I don't sound like an old-fashioned stick-in-the-mud,
but when I hear about people making vast fortunes without
doing any productive work or contributing anything to society,
my reaction is: 'How can I get in on that?'"
-- Dave Barry