Fwd: Ann: Devel Meeting Tomorrow, Nov 4th

Author: Alan Dayley
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Fwd: Ann: Devel Meeting Tomorrow, Nov 4th

---------- Forwarded Message ----------

Subject: Ann: Devel Meeting Tomorrow, Nov 4th
Date: Wednesday 03 November 2004 08:30 pm
From: Alan Dayley <>

PLUG Devel Meeting is on Thursday, November 4th.

What: PLUG Developer Meeting
When: Thursday, October 7, 2004 at 7:00 PM
Where: Adtron Corporation
4415 E. Cotton Center Blvd., Suite 100
Phoenix, AZ 85040
Topic: Code Analysis Tools and Linux VMM

As some of you may remember from some months ago, I was beginning a study of
the Linux Virtual Memory Manager to answer a question: How often does the
swap file get written? Well, the need for that study faded as did my
priority to spend time on it.

Never the less, in the process I was able to become familiar with the book,
"Understanding the Linux Virtual Memory Manager" by Mel Gorman
(http://www.phptr.com/title/0131453483). It is really a rather impressive
document that provides discussion just higher than comments in the actual
kernel source code. Kernel version 2.4.22, actually. The book comes with a
CD with it's own built-in web server and source browsing tools including the
CodeViz call graph generator.

I am no expert on the Linux VMM or even a significant portion of this book.
But I thought it would b interesting to show what I found in attempting to
answer my original question and then explore this book further. Maybe we can
then try some other code analysis tools that would add to your development
tool box.

The meeting will be held at Adtron.  Wired internet access available if the
group brings a hub or switch.  (I'll bring that old IBM notebook with
Slakware 8 to use as a DHCP server if one of the group wants to configure
it.) Wireless access is available too.

See the Meeting FAQ on the website for full directions:

http://plug.phoenix.az.us/modules.php?op=modload&name=FAQ&file=index&myfaq=ye
s&id_cat=3&categories=PLUG+Meetings&parent_id=0#27

Be carefull with the MapQuest.com map, linked below and in the FAQ.  It shows
the location star in the wrong place.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=US&countryid=US&addtohistory=&se
archtype=address&cat=&address=4415%20E%20Cotton%20Center%20Blvd&city=Phoenix&
state=AZ&zipcode=85040%2d8854&search=%20%20Search%20%20&searchtab=address

The building is actually more east and south of the star shown.  Just turn in
the driveway on the south side of the traffic circle with the big fountain
and you'll see the building on the right.  The front door is on the east side
of the building, south of the big Adtron logo up high on the east wall.

Alan