Bad Spot on Disk

Author: Ed Skinner
To: PLUG
Subject: Bad Spot on Disk
Looks like I've got a bad spot on my hard drive. Various copy utilities
report an input error on the same file, in a repeatable position.
     What should my strategy be now? I think I should:
1) Don't delete the file (because the bad spot is, for the moment, contained
in a known and now "mostly harmless" place);
2) Make sure I've got a good set of backups of good files;
3) Ask the disk drive (2.5", n Gigabyte, notebook computer) and/or the Linux
driver where the bad spot is, and check for others;
4) Tell the disk drive to re-map or otherwise skip over that (those) area(s)
from now on;
5) Monitor the drive to see how fast things are deteriorating; and
6) Replace the drive (which may still be under warranty).

     What commands (RH 9) should be used for #3, 4 and 5?

     Thanks In Advance!

--
Ed Skinner, , http://www.flat5.net/