Re: Install Fest

Author: Lee Einer
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Install Fest

>As an instructor for the last 8 years the single biggest complaint I get from new computer users is what I call, "The Computer Guy Syndrome", named after the skits of the same name on Saturday Night Live. They all have friends or coworkers that are around should a problem arise with their systems, but rather than actually helping the user they simply *zip* *zip* fix it and move on, leaving the user with no knowledge of how to circumvent or maybe even fix the problem on their own at a later date.

Surely, InstallFests will always benefit from constructive criticism,
and the volunteer installers will always have a range of skill in
teaching and interpersonal communication.

That being said, we should not lose sight of the fact that the
Installfests are a great gift to the community.The fact that volunteers
regularly give so freely to the community of their time, knowledge and
resources, in some cases spending hours on a single difficult install,
is laudable. Installfests are also direct action which advances the
cause of free software and helps create a society in which all things
are done as a gift to the community rather than out of the profit motive.

Lee Einer
Dos Manos Jewelry
http://www.dosmanosjewelry.com