Re: Problem accessing camera files in Linux

Author: Alan Dayley
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Problem accessing camera files in Linux
On Saturday 30 October 2004 12:04 am, Mark Jarvis wrote:
> I have a digital camera with a USB connection. In XP, I access the
> picture files in it exactly the same as I do files on my USB flash
> drives. In Linux I can access the USB drives just fine, but when I try
> to mount the camera, I get "device sdd1 is not a valid block device".
>
> In WBEL (White Box Enterprise Linux) the applicable fstab entries are:
>
> /dev/sdb1   /mnt/usbhd         auto    noauto,rw,umask=0,users   0 0
> /dev/sdc1   /mnt/usb_sd        auto    noauto,rw,umask=0,users   0 0
> /dev/sdd1   /mnt/usb_camera    auto    noauto,rw,umask=0,users   0 0

> They start with sdb1 because sda1 is a SCSI disk.
>
> I also booted into Mepis & Knoppix with similar results--both saw the
> two flash drives but not the camera. A student at school had a similar
> problem with his Memorex flash drive. No linux system would recognize
> it--he always gets the same "not a valid block device" message, even
> from systems that recognize other flash drives.
>
> Someone suggested re-formatting--whether from some knowledge or from
> "what the h___, let's try SOMETHING", I don't know.
>
> Does anybody have any ideas a) why Linux doesn't see some USB devices
> properly and b) what the heck to do about it? Is there some reason to
> expect re-formatting to help?

Mark,

You need to tell more about your camera. Some digital cameras cannot be
mounted as a USB drive. The windows drivers hide this fact but in Linux, it
"knows." For example, we have a Canon A80. Most Canon cameras use a
connection method called Picture Transport Protocol (PTP). The camera does
not present itself as a storage device but it works fine under Linux with
gphoto.

gphoto is a camera connection program that other GUI applications use to
manage digital cameras. gtkam is the first application I used to organize
photos. It uses gphoto under the GUI to talk to the camera.

In gtkam, out Canon camera works fine configured as "USB PTP Class Camera"
I'd suggest you try to use an application that uses gphoto. gtkam may be the
first, best choice. On the Fedora Core menus it is under the "Graphics" menu
as "Digital Camera Tool"

If that doesn't work, tell us more about your setup so we can help you
research and solve.

Alan