Problem accessing camera files in Linux

Author: Mark Jarvis
To: plug
CC: Robert J. Thompson
Subject: Problem accessing camera files in Linux

I have a digital camera with a USB connection. In XP, I access the
picture files in it exactly the same as I do files on my USB flash
drives. In Linux I can access the USB drives just fine, but when I try
to mount the camera, I get "device sdd1 is not a valid block device".

In WBEL (White Box Enterprise Linux) the applicable fstab entries are:

/dev/sdb1   /mnt/usbhd         auto    noauto,rw,umask=0,users   0 0
/dev/sdc1   /mnt/usb_sd        auto    noauto,rw,umask=0,users   0 0
/dev/sdd1   /mnt/usb_camera    auto    noauto,rw,umask=0,users   0 0

They start with sdb1 because sda1 is a SCSI disk.

I also booted into Mepis & Knoppix with similar results--both saw the
two flash drives but not the camera. A student at school had a similar
problem with his Memorex flash drive. No linux system would recognize
it--he always gets the same "not a valid block device" message, even
from systems that recognize other flash drives.

Someone suggested re-formatting--whether from some knowledge or from
"what the h___, let's try SOMETHING", I don't know.

Does anybody have any ideas a) why Linux doesn't see some USB devices
properly and b) what the heck to do about it? Is there some reason to
expect re-formatting to help?

-mj-