Re: Problem starting Galeon (followup)

Author: Jeremy C. Reed
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Problem starting Galeon (followup)
On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, Siri Amrit Kaur wrote:

> <rant>
>
> I guess my problem now is that I'm just ticked off that I have to do all this
> just to open a stupid browser that used to work just fine! I did a security
> patch updgrade and now things are broken, as far as I'm concerned. Things
> break every time I do security or any kind of system upgrades. And if I don't
> want to upgrade because I dread breaking a perfectly running system, I hear
> about how if people don't want to secure their system they shouldn't use the
> Internet, etc, etc...
>
> But how in the world do we tell newbies to switch to Linux when things are
> this complicated? It may not be difficult for you guys who dream in

In this case, the problem is not the generic "Linux" operating system, but
your specific distribution or the update tools. Since it is not an
isolated situation and you don't like this behavior, you may want to
consider using a distribution and/or packaging system that is better
tested and updates are smoother.

I don't know what the best is though. Debian has been good. My mother's
system is some Debian/Knoppix hybrid. I did an update using Debian's
stable and security archives. The X Windowing System would not start
(so I copied the automatically backed up X configuration back into place).
Galeon was missing its bookmarks (some of the xbel files were maybe
corrupted and finally importing an old xbel rotation worked). And sylpheed
didn't load its email (someone else fixed the problem so I don't know what
happened there).

I help maintain the Pkgsrc packaging system. It sure takes a lot of
testing to figure out how to get upgrades to be smooth.

Jeremy C. Reed

                 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
                http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/