Re: mount /dev/hda3 stuff

Author: Jim
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: mount /dev/hda3 stuff
You'll need to put that partition in your /etc/fstab file. Here's part of
mine.

/dev/hda5        swap             swap        defaults         0   0
/dev/hda1        /                ext3        defaults         1   1
/dev/hdb1     /home          ext2          defaults         1   1

You should add to your /etc/fstab something like this.

/dev/hda3    /mnt/localbackup  ext2          defaults           1   1

/dev/hda3 is the partition you're talking about.
/mnt/localbackup is where you want it mounted.
ext2 is the file system type. If you formatted the partition as ext3,
you'll need to put that in. If you formatted the partition so windows
could read and write to it, you'll need to put vfat as the partition type.

I believe defaults means the partition is mounted with the default
settings for that partition type. Maybe someone else can shed some more
light on this.

You're right about logging in as root. You could do a lot of damage to
your system.

--
Del Boy for President.
http://www.ofah.net