Re: on the subject of backups

Author: der.hans
To: plug-discuss
New-Topics: OT: Vegetables [Was: Re: on the subject of backups]
Subject: Re: on the subject of backups
Am 24. Oct, 2004 schwätzte Kevin Brown so:

> /var is good to backup for system logs and for things like the MySQL databases
> if you play with that.

And don't forget that generally databases require seperate scripts to put
the data in a form that can recovered from.

If you stick the db dumps elsewhere, then you probably only need to get
parts of /var/.

/var/log for log files
/var/www for the web tree on some systems
/var/cache/apt for package caches on debian systems

/boot/ holds kernel images and some boot info ( grub config if using grub
) that can be helpful.

I generally grab /home/, /etc/, /var/, /usr/local/ and /boot/ and use a
new install for bare metal recovery.

Don't try to backup special mounts like proc. While I find it helpful to
backup proc, it does require an external script to do it properly.

ciao,

der.hans
#  I only eat free-range vegetables that were hunted down and slain by
#  a member of my immediate family.  -- der.hans