Re: on the subject of backups

Author: Rob Wultsch
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: on the subject of backups
On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 12:53:36 -0700 (PDT), mike hoy
<> wrote:

> hi,
>
> i use slackware 10 and have noticed the last couple of emails are regarding
> backups.
> i';ve used windoze for years and know exaclty what to backup but need to
> know which directories are recommended for backups and if you could tell me
> what the directory does. oh and don't tell me to backup my home directory i
> figured that much out already.
>
> /bin directory ?? what goes in that directory
> /usr directory ?? ..
>
> i'm not asking for an exhaustive explanation on EVERY directory just
> basically and i mean basically which ones to backup and why.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Mike

/bin is binaries.
/var is various.
/etc mostly system settings
/proc is machine related stuff (cat /proc/cpuinfo)

in general I woul donly backup your /home often. It would be nice to
have a copy of your system files if by chance something goes wrong.
I think /usr include some user things not found in home