Re: CUPS problem

Author: Vaughn Treude
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: CUPS problem
<snip>

> >D [19/Oct/2004:03:00:32 -0700] CancelJob: id = 18
> >D [19/Oct/2004:03:00:32 -0700] StopJob: id = 18
> >D [19/Oct/2004:03:00:32 -0700] StopJob: printer state is 3
> >D [19/Oct/2004:03:00:45 -0700] NFO: Parallel port busy; will retry in 30
> >seconds...
> >D [19/Oct/2004:03:00:45 -0700] mallinfo: arena = 1841504, used = 1205088,
> >free = 636416
> >
> >Note that after it gives up on the samba printer it tries to print to the
> >parallel port - there's no printer there, so I'm not surprised that it's
> > busy.
> >
> >Any suggestions?
> >Thanks!
> >Vaughn

> From the output above it looks like it is trying to print to the
> parallel port but it cannot gain exclusive access to it?

I believe it is. But first it tries to start the samba backend, and it can't
find foomatic.

> Foomatic refers to a set of printer drivers that can be plugged into cups.
> To use my color laser printer with Linux I had to install the foomatic
> drivers for it.
> It's been a while since I've used Mandrake, but I seem to remember there
> was something called printerdrake that I used to set up the printer.

Sort of. It's called printtool. It's the GUI tool that wouldn't work for me
before. The Mandrake Control Center would ask for the root password, but the
printer-configuration form wouldn't let me type anything in. I tried it
again, and it appears you must be logged in as root (not just superuser) for
this thing to work. I just tried this on my other Mandrake 8 system and it
successfully created a Samba printer, which also wouldn't work. Then I
realized the CUPS would not installed on this system. Either it doesn't
check to see if CUPS or there, or it's not using CUPS.

> Is the HP deskjet connected to the win98 machine or your linux machine?

It's connected to the Win98 machine called pamela.

> Here are some links that might help:
> http://www.contribs.org/contribs/rvandenaker/beta/e-smith-cups/documentatio
>n/howtos/foomatic-ppds.html
> http://www.mail-archive.com/news@mandrakesoft.com/msg00225.html
> http://cups.sourceforge.net/cups-drivers.html
>
> JD

Hmm. Maybe I can find foomatic on the cups-drivers page.

Vaughn