Re: Running OpenOffice.org as a service at boot - RH8.0

Author: Bill Warner
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Running OpenOffice.org as a service at boot - RH8.0
My last suggestin, the one I suggested against then is going to be the
option you will want to use. On a suse server that starts in text mode
this is what you could do:

1) Create script that will start ethe OOo server as you desire, lets
call it oooserver. If you want to make it a complete init script then
have it accept arguments of start stop restart and do the appropriate
action depending on the call.

2) put this script into /etc/init.d some older systems have this
as /etc/rd.d/init.d

3) create links in /etc/init.d/rc3.d like so:
ln -s /etc/init.d/oooserver /etc/init.d/rc3.d/S99oooserver
ln -s /etc/init.d/oooserver /etc/init.d/rc3.d/K99oooserver (if you made
a real init script with stop option)

* change rc3 to rc5 if you are running in graphic mode or add them to
both so it starts up in either mode.

I am not sure of the details of running ooo in server mode, so the
script itself will have to be done according to your needs. but
basically it would look like this:

#!/bin/bash
case "$1" in
    start)
        echo -n "starting OOo server"
        OOo -server #what ever the command is here
    ;;
    stop)
        echo -n "stopping OOo server"
        killall OOo
    ;;
    restart)
        /bin/sh $0 stop
        /bin/sh $0 start
    ;;
    *)
        echo "Usage: /etc/init.d/$0 {start|stop|restart}
    ;;
esac

On Mon, 2004-10-18 at 12:17 -0700, George Gambill wrote:
> Bill,
>
> Actually, RH 8.0 is an interman testing step. The end objective is to run OOo as a service on an IBM AS400 iSeries in a Linux (logical) partition (probably SUSE). OOo (via OOo's SDK) will serve the printing function for certian forms (looking at RTF format) from a servlet/Webshpere setup. Please don't ask what this means as I am not familure with Servlet's and/or Websphere.
>
> The objective is to permit our end users the ability to "simply" modify forms (i.e. checks) using Openoffice or Star Office (their choice), then the CGC software will use that modified RTF document to print the forms using OOo.
>
> I have a RH 8.0 server running and hope to test (and move dowh the learning curve) the feasibility of OOo running as a service.
> I thought there was somewhere at Linux boot time that would start services. I just don't know where it is.
>
> You introduce a very good point which till now went past me. That being OOo may need a Window, X, GUI (whatever you want to call it)
>
> Thanks again
>
> George

Bill Warner <>