Re: Running OpenOffice.org as a service at boot - RH8.0

+ (text/html)
Author: George Gambill
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Running OpenOffice.org as a service at boot - RH8.0
Bill,
Actually, RH 8.0 is an interman testing step. The end objective is to run OOo as a service on an IBM AS400 iSeries in a logical Linux partition (probably SUSE). OOo (via OOo's SDK) will serve the printing function for certian forms (looking at RTF format) from a servlet/Webshpere setup. Please don't ask what this means as I am not familure with Servlet's and/or Websphere.
The objective is to permit our end users the ability to "simply" modify forms (i.e. checks) using Openoffice or Star Office (their choice), then the CGC software will use that modified RTF document to print the forms using OOo.
I have a RH 8.0 server running and hope to test (and move dowh the learning curve) the feasibility of OOo running as a service.
I thought there was somewhere at Linux boot time that would start services. I just don't know where it is.
You introduce a very good point which till now went past me. That being OOo may need a Window, X, GUI (whatever you want to call it)
Thanks again
George

----Origional Message---
If using a desktop such as gnome or kde I would suggest putting it in
your desktop's session startup. You'll have to refer to your preferred
desktops configuration.

If using the startx method you could add the appropriate command to your
~/.xsession or ~/.xinitrc file.

Other methods, would involve finding the start additional applications
option in your preferred window manager.

>From your posted question I think you were talking about having it start

at boot time. I don't think this would be the best way to do it but you
could create an init script and place it in /etc/init.d and create a
link to /etc/rc<your default run level>.d/S99<script name>. I am not
even sure if this would work because it would be started as root. The
other three methods are what I would suggest.

-Bill