Re: Linux install on a Think Pad 360

Author: Alan Dayley
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Linux install on a Think Pad 360
On Sunday 10 October 2004 07:15 am, Dennis Kibbe wrote:

> Good work Alan! By carefully selecting the programs to install you can get
> Slackware down to a pretty small size. typically, 250mb for a server
> installation.

I now think I have most of what I had in mind for this install. However, I
cannot get LILO to boot from the hard drive. After a few attempts a
different things this is what I ended up with:

20MB swap partition in hda1
410+MB ext2 partition in hda2
LILO was auto configured in Slack setup and written to the MBR.

I had told setup to write it to the superblock of the / partition in a
previous attempt but that gave nothing but cryptic "I90234" number codes on
the screen that I assume were from the BIOS. The above configuration will
print "LI" of the "LILO version...." message but stays frozen at that point.

I'll go research but if anyone has a quick answer from experience, I'd
appreciate it. I'm a GRUB boot loader guy myself but that is not the easy
option here.

BTW, by booting with the original boot disk, I can successfully start up the
hard drive installation with the command "mount root=/dev/hda2" so I think
everything is good except the "LI" boot hang.

Alan