Why HTML mail is a bad idea [Was: Mozilla mail plain-text op…

Author: Dennis Kibbe
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Why HTML mail is a bad idea [Was: Mozilla mail plain-text option]
On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 20:58:31 -0700
Victor Odhner <> wrote:

> Mozilla punishes me for setting plain text as my default mail format. I
> just installed the latest Mozilla hoping it would fix this, and it didn't.

[...]

> I think there is some sort of geeky monastic hair-shirt schtick in play
> here:  we are smart enough to implement rich text, yet strong enough to
> never use it.     ;-)

> Vic

Vic,

You might want to Google on "Why HTML e-mail is a bad idea" before you go much further.

There are many reasons why it *is* bad and unnecessary. Just one example is that last spam e-mail you get addressed to "Dear Citibank User" or "Dear PayPal User" that told you to click on the link below to update your account. It was hiding its dirty deed behind HTML.

Dennisk