Re: Linux install on a Think Pad 360

Author: Alan Dayley
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Linux install on a Think Pad 360
On Saturday 09 October 2004 08:28 pm, Dennis Kibbe wrote:

> There is a know issue with older Thinkpad floppy drives. Passing
>
> "floppy=thinkpad"
>
> might be the answer.

Thank you for the tip, Dennis.

However, in this case, it did not solve but changed the issue. Attempted on
two of the Thinkpads. It did change the error message slightly. After
pressing enter to read the boot disk (Slackware has two install disks now so
it is really install.1), this is what it reports:

VFS: Insert root floppy disk to be loaded into RAM disk and press ENTER

end_request: I/O error, dev 02:00 (floppy), sector 0
VFS: Insert root floppy and press ENTER

end_request: I/O error, dev 02:00 (floppy), sector 0
VFS: Cannot open root device "fd0u1440" or 02:00

At the boot prompt I gave the option:

ramdisk floppy=thinkpad

which looks right to me but then I am not a "Slacker" so how do I know. Maybe
I need to just try an older version. I have a Slackware 8 CD sitting around,
I may take a look at that. What do you think?

Alan