Re: GPL Problems

Author: Derek Neighbors
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: GPL Problems
Your company should review the GPL FAQ[0]. It does a very nice job of
answering a myriad of specfic yet common questions concerning the GPL. If
after reading the FAQ you still want clarification or have a specific
question not answered there, I think there are many here both capable and
willing to answer your questions. As it sits now your question is highly
specific so is difficult to answer.

> 'viral' effects of the GPL. Can we use GPL libraries in our software
> without open sourcing it?

This is too vague. I don't know what "open sourcing" it is. I am not
sure what you mean by "use".

> Are there libraries we can use that aren't GPL?

Certainly. Most of GNOME's libraries are LGPL for example.

> We are 75% linux oriented, but would like a library that could cross OS
> boundaries. Are there any GPL libraries we could do that with, without
> open sourcing our code?

You need to be specific about what kind of libraries you want. C
libraries? Telecommunications libraries? Graphics libraries? Math
libraries? Certainly most GNOME libraries are GPL (gtk for example is and
it is cross platform)

-Derek Neighbors

[0] http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html