GPL Problems

Author: Nathan England
To: PLUG List
Subject: GPL Problems

My company is having problems with the GPL. We are concerned about the
'viral' effects of the GPL. Can we use GPL libraries in our software
without open sourcing it?
Are there libraries we can use that aren't GPL?
We are 75% linux oriented, but would like a library that could cross OS
boundaries. Are there any GPL libraries we could do that with, without
open sourcing our code?

We would like to use a lot of GPL stuff, but are genuinely afraid of the
'viral' effects.
Can someone point me to a good explanation of how it all works, so we
don't include a GPL library we shouldn't...
I would really appreciate it.

Even a discussion amongst the learned on here would be fantastic. I
thought I understood it, now I'm finding myself questioning it more and
more.

Thanks a lot.

Nathan