Re: Redhat 9 to fedora via apt-get?

Author: Craig White
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Redhat 9 to fedora via apt-get?
On Thu, 2004-09-23 at 12:03, JD Austin wrote:
> Normally I'd just pop in the install media and upgrade, but I have a
> production server that is in another state
> that I wish to update from RH9 to fedora.
> I have apt for redhat installed; is it safe to switch the repository to
> the fedora one to upgrade the packages/etc.
> Is there a cleaner way to keep getting the security updates/etc on older
> RH machines?

and

> But now I see it doesn't have very many updates.
>
> http://fedoralegacy.org/updates/RH9/
>
> The mailing list for fedora-legacy-list appears to have a lot of
> discussion about the project not moving along.
>
> There seem to be a few alternatives for enterprise editions too, like
> CentOS-3 and WhiteBox Linux.

and

> I would expect it to fail. But, that's based on my experience alone
> (Fedora
> Core 1 to Fedora Core 2 via apt-get).

----
Ok having been here and done some upgrading of RH 7.x, 8.0.

1 - Fedora has a short life with each version. Approximately 8-9 months
and that really isn't sufficient for production servers. I wouldn't
recommend it because the upgrade cycles are so frequent. Desktop, yes,
home server, sure, production server at remote site - fahgettiboutit

2 - Fedora Legacy apparently didn't find enough interest in maintaining
RH 9 tree. It languishes - 7.3 and 8.0 have been maintained.

3 - RHEL and the various 'clones' as referenced above by Jeremy are
clearly the way to go. You have a long term maintenance promise from Red
Hat AND you can actually upgrade existing installations of RH 7.x, RH
8.0 and RH 9 simply by appending 'upgradeany' to the boot options. You
will have problems with anything separately compiled and likely have to
remove & reinstall but that seemed to be the only obstacle I have run
into (I have done it several times to RH 8.0 and RH 7.2) - RH 9
shouldn't throw any twists. THIS IS NOT SUGGESTED FOR FEDORA
INSTALLTIONS. This does however require that you install from media or
other methods from the console (local, not remote) but does have the
benefit of 4 more years of updates without major upgrade - RHEL 3 is
slightly less than a year old.

My personal experience is with whiteboxlinux (www.whiteboxlinux.org).

Craig