Re: xpistub

Author: JD Austin
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: xpistub
Lynn David Newton wrote:

> kg> If it were me, I would put something newer than
> kg> redhat 8 (which has long since been end-of-lifed
> kg> by redhat) on the machine.
>
>Of course that's the ideal solution, and probably the
>source of many of my problems, but I'm not in a
>position to do that. The system in question is my
>*only* Linux system, and I use it all day every day to
>make my living on. If I try to install a new version on
>the system and it fails to come up properly I will
>effectively instantly unemploy myself.
>
>QUESTION 1: What are the chances that installing *any*
>     Linux distro on this system will go as smooth
>     as glass and allow me to get right back to
>     work?

>ANSWER 1: 99.999% likely to fail.

It depends on what you're going from/to.  I just upgraded from RH9 to
Fedora Core2 on my development server, absolutely no hitches.
My RH9 server was just a stock install with patches though.  It just
depends.
I would recommend the following:
Either -> go buy an external USB drive, make a complete backup of
anything important (just back up the whole thing to an image).
Or      ->buy a new drive, make your existing drive a slave, and install
the new distro on the fresh drive.

In a pinch you can use chroot to run things from the old drive.

Just an idea.

>QUESTION 2: What are the chances that installing *any*
>     Linux distro on this system with the
>     assistance of people at an Installfest will go
>     as smooth as glass and allow me to get right
>     back to work?

>ANSWER 2: 99.991% likely to fail.

Wow, you're a pessimistic fellow :)
I'd be willing to help you personally to get it done.

>Those odds aren't good enough.

Your odds are based on speculation.

>Nonetheless, it's been my hope to install a new version
>as soon as possible, probably by means of an
>Installfest. Regretably, I am unable to get to one this
>weekend. I'm targeting the one next month, and hope by
>that time I will have archived everything important,
>and made a list of all the other stuff I need to
>install and/or re-configure.

I've never been to an installfest.. my schedule is always too limited :(
Im sure other people on this list would be as willing to help you
through it as I am
with or without the installfest.

>Traditionally, whenever I do an OS upgrade, the pieces
>don't stop rolling for a couple of weeks.
>
> kg> by the time you fiddle around with getting the
> kg> correct libraries on that machine in rh8, you
> kg> will have probably spent the same amount of time
> kg> it will have taken to back up your data, install
> kg> a newer linux, restore your data.

That happens. I typically install apt for redhat, set it up, and simply
do apt-get install ... for
whatever I left out.

>Not to mention the tons of other stuff I have on this
>system that has been installed over the last couple of
>years.
>
> kg> you might look into one of the distros which
> kg> don't require that type of update, like gentoo or
> kg> debian. you will be much happier in the end, with
> kg> an easier to maintain system.

Great argument for a second drive. Then you could leave it alone until
you're done.

>I was planning on Debian. Not real familiar with
>GenToo, other than I've heard positive things about it
>from technically savy people.

I love Debian, but the installer still sucks.
If they could install the hardware detection from Knoppix/whatever I
wouldn't hesitate to load Debian.
I ended up loading my old laptop with fedora core2, and then installing
apt for redhat on it.

> >> Greetings,
> >>
> >> I've been out of town and not watching the list, so
> >> maybe this has been discussed recently, but ...
> >>
> >> I just downloaded the FireFox 1.0PR bundle, unwrapped
> >> it, tried to install it, and as it tried to unwind it
> >> spit out the message:
> >>
> >> Fatal error [-618]: Couldn't open xpistub library
> >>
> >> In fact, I do have four different iterations of
> >> libxpistub.so on my sytem:
> >>
> >> /usr/lib/mozilla-1.0.1/libxpistub.so
> >> /usr/local/mozilla/libxpistub.so
> >> /usr/local/netscape/libxpistub.so
> >> /usr/local/mozilla1.2.1/libxpistub.so
> >>
> >> but not what the installer is looking for.
> >>
> >> I'm trying to install this on a Red Hat 8.0 system,
> >> which is getting increasingly difficult to maintain.
> >>
> >> There's no readme, no instructions of any kind, etc.
> >>
> >> Just like the old days. Here I thought the days of
> >> supposedly high quality projects delivering things that
> >> are broken from the get-go or missing important pieces
> >> were mostly behind us. Apparently not.
> >>
> >> So ... does someone have a clue what I should do next?

Definately time to upgrade :(

JD

--
JD Austin