Re: InstallFest D-Link Wireless

Author: Eric \"Shubes\"
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: InstallFest D-Link Wireless
Bill Wesson wrote:

> Hello,
>
> There was quite a discussion a week or two back about installing a D-Link
> wireless card on a Linux laptop.
>
> At InstallFest, would anyone have the ability/interest to see if they can
> make my D-Link DWL-G650 work with my Toshiba laptop using any Fedora Core
> 1-3? The PC card is D-LINK revision C1.
>
> Can/should an NDIS shim be used?
>
> Thanks,
> --Bill Wesson

We can have a look at it, Bill.

First thing you can do to prepare is run 'lspci -v' and 'lspci -nv' to
see which chipset that unit actually contains, as it can vary, even
within the model number. Please post the restults for your device.

(Generally speaking)
If it's a prism (Intersel) chip it'll probably work natively although
some newer prism54 chips are not yet supported. Development project is
at http://prism54.org/.

If it's a TI ACX100/111, there is native support, however some features
such as WEP are not yet implemented. Project is at
http://acx100.sourceforge.net/.

If it's a Broadcom chipset, you'll have to use the NDIS wrapper along
with the supplied windoze drivers. I presume that'd be the case for any
other chipset too, although I'm not certain of that. NDIS wrapper is at
http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/.

Let us know what chipset your unit contains, and we'll go from there.
--
-Eric 'shubes'
"There is no such thing as the People;