Re: Samba Issue

Author: Craig White
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Samba Issue
On Wed, 2004-09-22 at 10:52, Kyle Faber wrote:
> Morning folks,
>
> I have a samba server installed on a separated network (no internet
> connection at all). I have set the server to always use the user 'guest' for
> all connections that come in to the server (ie guest user is 'guest', unknown
> user is 'guest) and requires no password for that user.
>
> Windows xp Home and 2K have no issues connecting to it.
> XP Pro cannot even connect when it specifies the user. (guest with
> appropriate pw)
>
> ****smb.conf***
>
> [global]
>  workgroup = MSHOME
>     server string = Samba Server
>     log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
>     max log size = 50
>     security = SHARE
>     socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
>     dns proxy = no

> #============================ Share Definitions ==============================
> [data]
> path=/data
> force user = guest
> force group = guest
> read only = No
> guest ok = Yes
>
> *****
>
> Thanks for any tips..

----
probably the easiest thing to do would be to edit your smbusers file and
add the login names that you are using on your WinXP Pro systems since
that is apparently what is being sent - whereas the WinXP Home edition
is perfectly willing to send 'guest' as the authenticating user.

i.e.

If my login to WinXP Pro is for user craig...

I would edit /etc/samba/smbusers

# Unix_name = SMB_name1 SMB_name2 ...
root = administrator admin
nobody = guest pcguest smbguest craig "Craig White"

You should be able to test this out from command prompt...

net use f: \\SERVER-NAME\share-name /USER:guest
or
net use f: \\SERVER-NAME\share-name /USER:craig

Craig