Re: "Missing text" in browsers

Author: Siri Amrit Kaur
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: "Missing text" in browsers
On Tuesday 14 September 2004 11:08 am, irb wrote:

> You might find it easier to just do it the Slackware Way[tm] and
> reinstall the mozilla-plugins package. You can get that here:
>
> ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-10.0/slackware/xap/

Thanks, irb. The problem isn't just with Mozilla, but with Konqueror, too, and
Konqueror is the browser I use most.

> However, I'm not sure why you think this is a problem with Java; I'd
> first suspect javascript, which is a different beast entirely. Make sure
> you have Javascript enabled would be my first piece of advice.

I have enabled Javascript in all the browsers. I don't necessarily think this
is a problem with Java. I just asked if it "could" be a problem with Java.
Java, Javascript... it's all Greek (or Geek?) to me. Like I said, I'm really
ignorant.

Siri Amrit

> * Quoth Siri Amrit Kaur (), on Tue, 2004.09.14, at

10:44 -0700:
> > On Tuesday 14 September 2004 10:16 am, Craig White wrote:
> >
> > I'm very ignorant. I don't know what you mean by exporting to my path.
> > And I don't have " /usr/kerberos/ " in my system, so if I type what you
> > said will it mess things up?
>
> You might find it easier to just do it the Slackware Way[tm] and
> reinstall the mozilla-plugins package. You can get that here:
>
> ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-10.0/slackware/xap/
>
> However, I'm not sure why you think this is a problem with Java; I'd
> first suspect javascript, which is a different beast entirely. Make sure
> you have Javascript enabled would be my first piece of advice.
>
> /i.
>
> > Thanks for your help,
> > Siri Amrit

> > > ----
> > > are you sure the java plug-in is installed/enabled?
> > >
> > > In Mozilla, try Help -> about plug-ins
> > >
> > > see if java plug-in is installed. If not, you have to quit mozilla.
> > > then locate the plug-ins folder for mozilla
> > > on FC-2, it is in /usr/lib/mozilla
> > > and then locate the proper java plug-in shared object
> > > on FC-2, it is in /usr/java/j2re1.4.2_04/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/
> > >
> > > and thus to link it...
> > >
> > > ln -s \
> > > /usr/java/j2re1.4.2_04/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so \
> > > /usr/lib/mozilla/plugin
> > >
> > > and lastly, as whatever user you are running as...you must have java
> > > exported in your path...
> > > # echo $PATH
> > > /usr/kerberos/sbin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sb
> > >in:/
> > > bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/java/j2re1.4.2_04/bin:/root/
> > >bin
> > >
> > > Craig

Beauty: What's in your eye when you have a bee in your hand.

It is easy to be blinded to the essential uselessness of computers by the
sense of accomplishment you get from getting them to work at all.

Douglas Adams

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause
and reflect. -Mark Twain

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand
ready to do violence on their behalf."

-George Orwell

"A right is not what someone gives you; its what no one can take away from
you."
Ramsey Clark

"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." -
Jim Horning

temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"It's such a pity that the actions of 95% of lawyers make the other 5% look
bad."

"Cowards die many times before their deaths;
The valiant never taste death but once."
- Julius Caesar
Act 2, Scene 2, line 34