Odd Compute Behavior

Author: Aaron Cordova
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Odd Compute Behavior
My friend brought over his comp becuase it has been very sluggish and
the rest of the regular complaints. After trying to irradicate all the
spyware and malware that was installed on his box, I decided that the
easiest solutions would be a clean install. When ever I ran the spybot or
adaware the computer would reboot during the scan or would crash. I
installed a new virus scanner, his was trial version, and same problems with
the virus scanner. So I used his WinXP cd to scrub the hd and re-install. I
had the hardest time even getting the program to format the HD, so I assume
there are bad sectors on the outer regions on one of the plates.
     I finally get a good format, and install. When it comes time to reboot
I get a very unusual error :Error Loading Operating System. Now, I can
install Fedora and get it to boot in to X11 with no problems. The install
can be a bit hairy, but i have limited the install partion to 10GB and that
seems to work every time now. So I tried the same scenario with XP, this
time no format complaints no halts no crashes, reboot, Error Loading
Operating System. Does anyone have any ideas about this. I have exhausted my
knowledge.