Re: Wireless router help

Author: Don Calfa
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Wireless router help
They have some dumb mucky proxy software (Like T-Mobile uses and other
pay-as-you-go wireless providers) that defaults to any IP address
outside of the network to the admin panel. The Hyatt on Kaanapali
beach in Maui also has this for $30 a day.

So if you're at an airport with wireless T-Mobile, you want to go to
www.yahoo.com, you'll get redirected to www.t-mobile.net/payus, etc...,
you pay, and your mac address gets allowed to route.
I setup a wireless access point like that about 1.5 years ago coffee
shop style.
A patron would buy coffee or pay for access. The cashier presses a
button on a printer that is connected to the WAP. The printer dispenses
a ticket with a password good for an hour and gives the ticket to the
patron.
The patron visits slashdot.org, gets the login page, enters the ticket
number, and continues to get outside.

In local news, the basicsetting.htm was the key and I didn't see it in
my docs. Obviously I didn't read deep enough. I perused most of the
relevant PDF's on the CD. The wizard is still mucked up but I don't
need/want it.

This wireless keeps me out of my office which is a good thing. I needed
it so I can use my local CVS server. Internet...(that's what unsecured
neighbors are for). I wasted quite a few hours on it so thanks to all
and especially Eric for first response on the URL.

BTW, I haven't been asked for admin/password which is odd.