Re: My system really crashed!

Author: elemint@theriver.com
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: My system really crashed!
Robert N. Eaton wrote:

> Hi, all,
>
> A couple of weeks ago my computer started acting flaky. Would not
> boot. I replaced the power supply, and it worked for a short time and
> then got flaky again. The tech said, after some time experimenting,
> that /dev/hdba was bad and had zapped the MB. He replacecd the MB
> with an Abit AN7, the hard drive with an 80 gig Western Digital, and
> upgraded Windows 98 to XP Home edition.
>
> Grub doesn't seem to talk Windows XP: I have to use a boot disk.
> Where do I look to enable my box to dual boot with Win XP and RH 8.0?
>
> Bob Eaton

You could look at http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue64/kohli.html

If grub is already installed in Linux then, and boot to Linux and then
"grub-install /dev/hda" for exapmle and this will install grub on
/dev/hda and I believe in my experiece that the system will now use grub
as the boot loader, now getting windows to boot as well, grub should
find it and place an entry for windows but in my experince this is not
always correct and I have to start looking at cfdisk etc to see what
needs to be changed in /boot/grub/menu.lst

Jim