Permissions?

Author: Clayton Stapleton
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Permissions?
Have installed Mandrakelinux 10.0 and got it to work
after the third try, but that is another story.
Have two 80 GB HD's, one for Windows and the second
for Linux.

The hdb drive has 5 partitions. hdb1 is for Linux
20 GB, hdb2 is an extended partition with hdb5-8 on
it. Hdb7 is a swap partition and hdb5,6 & 8 are ext3.

When fstab was set up only hdb1 and hdb7 was entered.
I have since added hdb5,6 & 8. Had to make directories
home2,3 & 4 for mounting the partitions.

On the KDE desktop created 3 HD icons for home2,3 & 4.
When I tried to access the "home2" partition was told
that only root could mount /dev/hdb5 (home2). Changed
the owner and group to myself. And still no luck.
Then did a chmod 744 /dev/hdb5,6 & 8 (as root). and
that it had no effect. This is what an ls -l looks
like:
lr-xr-xr-x 1 clay clay 33 Aug 29 04:59 /dev/hdb5
When I looked at this same line after restarting the
system the owner and group had changed back to root.

Any suggestions will be a appreciated

Clay Stapleton