Re: Is there a way to contact the person who is attempting t…

Author: George Toft
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Is there a way to contact the person who is attempting to take over this box?
Michael Havens wrote:

> Is there a way to contact the person who is attempting to take over my box?

Not directly.

You can e-mail their ISP with the appropriate logs, explain that you are
rather put off by the hacking attempts, and ask them to have the
responsible party stop.

I have had limited success with this. I once had an Italian hacker
banging on my box. I sent a message to his ISP in English and Babelfish
Italian. 5 minutes later it stopped.

Realize the ISP's are overworked and understaffed. It will usually take
days to get around to handling a complaint. IMHO, the best thing you
can do is ensure your box is secure (which leads into a whole new
discussion). I recommend heading over to <http://www.edgeos.com> and do
a vulnerability test - if you come up clean, don't sweat it. If not -
fix it now.

Look at <http://scan.sygatetech.com> and <http://www.grc.com> (shields
up) for some free port scanners to test your system with. Anything but
STEALTH needs fixed. These tools give you an idea of what the attacker
sees when they look at you. Bear in mind attackers usually look for 1
port in particular instead of all ports, so this is more of a shotgun
approach of seeing how visible you are.

--
George Toft, CISSP, MSIS
AGD,LLC