lirc issues

Author: David Huerta
To: plug-discuss
Subject: lirc issues
Hello everyone,

I've recently acquired an IR reciever/remote which I have set up on my
Slackware machine using LIRC. After looking at /var/log/lircd, I can
see that it is detecting the signals from my device just fine, but
that it cannot access /dev/lirc, which is strange, since /dev/lircd is
detected, modprobes picks lircd up, and I'm not used to seeing daemons
pose as physical devices. Any idea on what I should do? I'm fresh
out, and the documentation isn't terribly helpful.

Here's the log:

[time, name, proc, etc.]: caught signal
: lircd(creative) ready
: accepted new client on /dev/lircd