Re: OT request for help at the Install Fest

Author: Mark Phillips
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: OT request for help at the Install Fest
wrote:

> Okay... does the drive come up in the self-test? It might say
> something like
>
> "detecting primary master-- IDE hard disc"
>

> If it's detected but just not booting, you can boot off an install or
> rescue disc, mount the drive, and try and salvage data. Perhaps you
> merely hosed the bootloader

I don't see any self-test messages because....

The drive is a dual boot drive with Windows 2000 and Debian. It has both
BootMagic and lilo installed as the boot loader. I was running disk
defrag in Windows when a blue screen appeared with a memory error and
the machine locked up. I had to remove the power cord to shut it down.
When I started the machine again, I got the error "no boot drive
available". I booted off a Knoppix CD and the drive did not appear. I am
not a Knoppix expert, so I am not sure if I need to do something to
mount the drive.

I don't know if there are any Linux tools on the Knoppix CD that would
help investigate this problem and let me know if the drive is dead or
just messed up. My hope is that someone at the installfest can spare
some time to see if some of the data can be recovered. Are you "the guy'??

I was also wondering if the MBR can be replaced/repaired so the drive
will boot again?

Thanks!

Mark