Re: Installfest Saturday 8/28

Author: Alexander Henry
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Installfest Saturday 8/28
On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 22:42:46 -0700, Eric "Shubes" <> wrote:

I've made all of the gramatical changes you suggested.

> .) I have a problem with the last sentence here. Can this statement be
> backed up? Even if so, I'm not sure it's a good thing (adopting economic
> policies based on any kind of boom). If there's a boom, there'll be a
> bust (economically speaking). I think that simply pointing to the growth
> of Linux (however you want to measure it) would have better impact.

Much of that language I copied from http://www.linux.org . The last
statement regarding governments switching to Linux can be backed up. I
think you'll find some of the backup in Microsoft strategic policy reports
:) Article after article has been published over the last year regarding
this. I'm only posting a short article, not a National Geographic
special, so the backup isn't fully researched and printed here. :)

> This is a bit esoteric, IMHO. Leave it in if you like, but I don't think
> it adds anything meaningful. Sorry, Alex. I would like to discuss it
> though.

I used to have other language here regarding us switching from semi-annual
to monthly Installfests. I wanted to fill the void, and that particular
vocabulary has been floating in my brain for some time now. I wanted to
get it down in hard text.

Note that this is in the middle of the article, the part that most readers
don't read unless they're more interested. So this is where I am talking
to the more challenging readers, perhaps business people who actually
liked calculus, statistics, and economics. For those that are interested,
it will at least provoke discussion. It's also completely contrary to the
fanatical Linux propaganda some PHB's may have heard in the past, which I
hope will right a few ears.

Perhaps I should have switched the order of the paragraphs to put the
basic Linux info before the opinion language.

--

--Alexander