Re: Sub Interfacing

Author: Kevin Brown
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Sub Interfacing
>> I have been looking for some information on sub interfacing a network
>> card. I know the card can handle it because there is already eth0:0,
>> eth0:1, and eth0:2, I just haven't done this before.

> Easy way: ifconfig eth0:5 123.34.56.78 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
> (I chose :5 just because - it can be any number. I also choce a bogus
> IP address.)

123.34.56.78 is a valid IP address, per se...

> Unfortunately, if you want to make it survive a reboot, or a network
> init script invocation, you need to add it to the distribution-specific
> network configurations. Debian is different that RH/Mandrake.
>
> Just in case you are using RH:
> cd /etc/sysconfig/networl-scripts
> cp ifcfg-eth0 ifcfg-eth0:5
> vi ifcfg-eth0:5

Nice thing about the RH config file naming, you don't have the name the file
after the device. RH network scripts use the DEVICE= line to determine what
device to change, so you could call the file ifcfg-domain and then invoke it
with "ifup domain" and RH will know to use that file and device eth0:5.

This is useful as you can then name the files to help you remember what they are
for (such as if you have virtual adapters for FTP, HTTP, IRC, etc...).