Re: iBook with Airport and Linux network

Author: Jerry Davis
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: iBook with Airport and Linux network
On Friday 13 August 2004 02:27 am, Jared Anderson wrote:

ok all is all right with the world now.
Mac OS/X is playing nicely with CUPS and it was my fault
not having had a Mac too long, it was the interface that screwed me up.
there is a little right-arrow button that has a label by it that says "shared
printers". after i clicked that button my EPSON printer on my linux box
showed up.

I also found out how to "enable" the root account, so I could change
the /etc/hosts file to add in my network at home.

So now all is right with the world.

I can now say, as soon as we get my wife's quicken data off the windoze box
that I can then start attending windows anonymous meetings...

Oh ... isn't that a LUG meeting? xLUG == "Windows Anonymous"

Anyway I can then start counting the months that I will have been Windows
Free. What a relief.

Jerry

> I have a shared printer using cups:
>
> edit /etc/cups/cupsd.conf on host with computer to allow your host:
> <Location />
> Order Deny,Allow
> Deny From All
> Allow From 127.0.0.1
> Allow From 192.168.1.*
> </Location>
>
> I have also got cups installed on my clients.
> edit /etc/cups/clients.conf
>
> ServerName 'printserver' # or whatever the hostname/ip is of the box with
> printer attached.
>
> hope this helps....

Today's Fortune: Chism's Law of Completion:
    The amount of time required to complete a
government project is
    precisely equal to the length of time already spent
on it.