Re: How to use 'chkconfig' ?

Author: Jeremy C. Reed
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: How to use 'chkconfig' ?
<-- Warning: charset 'X-UNKNOWN' is not supported -->

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004, Josef Lowder wrote:

> The 'man' page states: "When chkconfig is run without any options,
> it displays usage information." But that did not work as advertised.

It did work. The usage information is the explanation on how to use
chkconfig. You showed us that it did work successfully to show that usage
(how to use chkconfig) in your earlier email and also included below.

> Well, I want two things: I want to know what, if anything, I need to
> do to keep my system secure -- specifically are there any "services"
> that need to be turned off, and if so, how to do that.

My comments about this below.

> Second, I would like to be able to "check the configuration" of my
> system (as the name 'chkconfig' suggests), so that I might know
> what is the overall configuration of my system. When one starts
> up, Linux lists a lot of details that seem to describe everything
> pertaining to the configuration of one's system ... however all this
> information scrolls by too fast t be able to read it all and there seems
> to be no way to capture all those details to a file ... or is there?

In many cases, that is not related to chkconfig. chkconfig (as I mentioned
earlier) is for managing the symlinks for System-V0-style init.d startup
scripts. As you can see for your output below, it also handles your
xinetd.

You may want to look at dmesg also. Some systems save the dmesg output to
/var/run/dmesg.boot or /var/log/dmesg.out or similar.

> The results of:   /sbin/chkconfig --list  :
> alsa            0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

Notice the runlevel numbers. You can type runlevel to see the runlevel you
are currently using.

Now look at all of these to see if you really want the script ran (usually
to start a service) for your runlevel.

> kheader         0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:off   5:on    6:off
> kudzu           0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
> usb             0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
> netfs           0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
> network         0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
> random          0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
> rawdevices      0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
> sound           0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
> linuxconf       0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
> keytable        0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
> syslog          0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
> crond           0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
> xfs             0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

xfs is an example of something that is generall not needed. It is the x
font server.

> portmap         0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:off   6:off

portmap is off. That is fine. It is used for rpc services, like NFS.

I wrote an article about this a few years ago ... I see it is at
http://www.serverwatch.com/news/article.php/1133271

> > So, I tried: /sbin/chkconfig and got the following response:
> > chkconfig version 1.2.23 - Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Red Hat, Inc.
> > This may be freely redistributed under the terms of the GNU Public License.

Here is the usage information:

> > usage: chkconfig --list [name]
> > ?chkconfig --add <name>
> > ?chkconfig --del <name>
> > ?chkconfig [--level <levels>] <name> <on|off|reset>)

Jeremy C. Reed

                 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
                http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/