Re: Decoding Xcdroast error messages

Author: Alan Dayley
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Decoding Xcdroast error messages
On Tuesday 10 August 2004 08:50 pm, Victor Odhner wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone can decode the error messages below?

I'll give it a shot.

> cdrecord: WARNING: Drive returns wrong startsec (0) using -150
> Writing pregap for track 1 at -150
> Starting new track at sector: 0

Don't know what these messages mean. I don't think it matters given the
remaining error messages.

> cdrecord: Input/output error. write_g1: scsi sendcmd: no error
> CDB: 2A 00 00 00 01 B2 00 00 1F 00

CDB==Command Data Block. It is the group of bytes that make up a SCSI
command. In this case the command is 2A==Write

> status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)

The drive said "I have a problem with that write command you just gave me!"
The host then does a Request Sense command to get the error details.

> Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 2C 00 00 00

This is the actuall bytes of the drive's response to the Request Sense command
from the host, called the Sense Data.

> Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
> Sense Code: 0x2C Qual 0x00 (command sequence error) Fru 0x0

This is the decode of the relevant sense data, being the Sense Key, Sense Code
and Sense Code Qualifier. The event given the meaning of these three bytes:

0x05, 0x2C, 0x00 means "Illeagal Request - command sequence error"

The drive is reporting that the write CDB it recieved was either formated
incorrectly. OR it was given at a time when the drive could not do the write
yet because the command was out of sequence, like the drive needs more setup
commands before it can do the write. I think it was the latter but why the
drive would think that it needs more configuration is a mystery.

> Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)

This error recalls the ones above that I did not know what they meant. It
refers to block 0 just as those beginning ones did.

> cmd finished after 0.009s timeout 200s
>
> Sense Bytes: 70 00 00 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

These bytes are the response to another Request Sense but the third byte value
00 reports that there is no longer error information pending.

> cdrecord: WARNING: Drive returns wrong startsec (0) using -150
> Writing pregap for track 1 at -150
> Starting new track at sector: 0

Again, the messages about block 0 that I don't understand.

> cdrecord: Input/output error. write_g1: scsi sendcmd: no error
> CDB: 2A 00 00 00 01 D1 00 00 1F 00
> status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
> Sense Bytes: 70 00 02 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 04 01 00 00
> Sense Key: 0x2 Not Ready, Segment 0
> Sense Code: 0x04 Qual 0x01 (logical unit is in process of becoming
> ready) Fru 0x0

An error on the write CDB again but this time the Sense Codes are 0x02, 0x04,
0x01 meaning "Not Ready - logical unit is in process of becoming ready."

The drive was not ready to perform the write command yet and it is telling the
host to back off for a bit. Not a fatal error if the host application knows
to come back around and try again in a bit.

> Sense Bytes: F0 00 03 00 00 00 10 0A 00 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 00 00

This second Sense code response is different. Note that the first byte is an
0xF0 instead of 0x70. That extra upper bit means that we get more
information in this error report. The Sense Key, Sense Code and Sense Code
Qualifier are 0x03, 0x02, 0x00 meaning "Medim Error - no seek complete." The
drive head could not get to the block specified in the command or could not
find the block specified.

The extra information I talked about are bytes 4 - 7 and the specify that the
error being reported happened at LBA 0x00000010 or LBA 16. Not that it helps
us much here but it is more information.

> write track data: error after 952320 bytes
> Writing time: 163.933s
> Fixating...
> cdrecord: Input/output error. flush cache: scsi sendcmd: no error
> CDB: 35 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

This CDB, as the line above implies, is 0x35==Synchronize Cache. It is an
attempt by the host to flush the drive's buffer. It failed as shown in the
Sense Codes below with the same "Medim Error - no seek complete" report, on
the same block even.

> status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
> Sense Bytes: F0 00 03 00 00 00 10 0A 00 00 00 00 02 00 00 00
> Sense Key: 0x3 Medium Error, Segment 0
> Sense Code: 0x02 Qual 0x00 (no seek complete) Fru 0x0
> Sense flags: Blk 16 (valid)
> cmd finished after 7.520s timeout 200s
> Trouble flushing the cache

What does all this mean? It means you need a new drive. The sequence problem
on the first error could be a symptom of the same problem below: The drive
can't reliably position the head where it needs to be. Since you tried
different media, I'd say the drive is broken.

Sorry, it looks like a trip to the store.

Alan