Tutorial for optimizing security on a non-server Linux syste…

Author: Josef Lowder
To: PLUG
Subject: Tutorial for optimizing security on a non-server Linux system

An recent article stated that most Linux security problems
are your own fault, and that 92 percent of Linux systems
have never been infected with a virus.

I have never heard of a virus infecting a Linux system?
Is there really such a thing? I was under the impression
that there was no need for anti-virus software for Linux systems.
Is that an incorrect understanding? If so, what anti-virus software
is necessary and available for Linux systems?

Also, where might one find a tutorial that takes one step-by-step
through the process of optimizing security on one's non-server
Linux system?

I recall when I set up my Mandrake 8.1 system several years ago,
at that time Mandrake offered some phone support and a tech rep
took me through several steps to modify certain things on my system
so that nobody could "hack" into my system when I was online (I have
only a dial-up connection).

Regrettably, I cannot find my notes recapping what all those steps
were. Can anybody tell me what steps one should take to "secure"
a non-server Linux system (or point me to a tutorial)?

Thanks to all for the excellent help everyone on the PLUG list
always provides.

Joe