Re: resuming http test

Author: Matt Alexander
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: resuming http test
On Sun, 25 Jul 2004, Michael Sammartano wrote:

> I use ZoneEdit as my dns, and the redirect the address, ie: user types
> www.volinaz.us, the dns server then sends the request to
> 24.251.169.204:xxxx. This is a service most dns servers should supply.

No, DNS records cannot handle port numbers. The way it works is that
DNS would resolve to a system that is not blocked for a particular
port. Then that system would be configured to forward to your
computer on some non-standard port.

So, for example, if Cox blocks port 25 then you could have DNS resolve
to a server that is on a network that does not have port 25 blocked.
Then the mail service on that server would forward to your computer
runnning on port 2525.
~M